I started early running some errands at 7:30 AM for the brew. I needed a refill on gas and some bags of ice since I still don't have my immersion chiller complete. Stay tuned for a post on that.
Everything went very well. My lovely assistant Kelly helped me mill the grain the night before, so it was straight into mashtun warming and mashing for me.
I won't bore you with the gory details, but here are the results. Almost 6 gallons at 1.070. If I round that down to 5.5 gallons, it's 78% efficiency, which is my highest using this pilsner malt. The key, it would seem, is stirring at the 15 and 30 minute marks.
I was all done, including cleanup by 1:30PM.
I used the 3rd generation yeast from the Saison du Mock. I pitched about .5L slurry. I was a little concerned about using it since I hadn't seen activity this morning, but as of 5:30PM the next day, the bubbling is non-stop.
Since Willie hasn't brewed a saison yet, I've offered my yeast cake for his Belgian pleasure.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Brewing the Barn Mouse
Posted by Mockwerks at 5:35 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment